Authenticated senders

Alex Neuman alex at vidadigital.com.pa
Tue Apr 12 13:58:24 IST 2011

It's not a kludge, it's more of a workaround.

The problem is philosophical... MS is MTA-agnostic (or at least MTA-diverse) and, as such, doesn't directly understand when a user is or isn't authenticated.

Using something else than SMTP auth still involves other workarounds.

If having SA skip over authenticated e-mail is too ugly or unelegant for your taste, you might try:

1. Running a separate instance of postfix on another IP address or port, which would "skip" MS. You'd lose archiving, inline sigs, etc. - all the "non antispam/antivirus" goodies we're used to using MS.
2. Running a VPN daemon and whitelisting stuff that comes from your internal net. The disadvantage is that you have to be connected to the VPN for this to happen, and some places might not allow VPN traffic.