Authenticated senders

James Pattinson james at pattinson.org
Tue Apr 12 12:43:08 IST 2011

Hi List!

I am using MailScanner with Postfix and ClamAV to run a simple mail
server for myself and my family.

I use SMTP AUTH to enable mail to be sent from various places such as
home ISPs and Mobile Internet providers and would ideally like to have
authenticated mail skip right through the RBL checks.

I know this has been discussed in the past and I did find a thread from
someone who ended up writing custom perl scripts to do this.

As this was a few years ago I'd like some advice as to how this is best
done these days! I find it really hard to believe that this is not a
really common usage scenario, surely RBL checks are completely irrelvant
when SMTP auth is in use? I am even using port 587 and TLS to submit
messages!

Currently my workaround is to have my sending address configured in
rules/spam.whitelist.rules but this is not ideal as I still get spammers
faking my address.

Would love to get some input on this :)

Cheers
James