compatibility issue with Archive::Zip::Member v1.30?

Edward Prendergast edward.prendergast at netring.co.uk
Thu Oct 14 09:56:15 IST 2010

  On 14/10/2010 08:57, MailScanner wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 10:47:04AM +0100, Edward Prendergast wrote:
>> I'm seeing MailScanner 4.81.4 return "MailScanner: Message attempted
>> to kill MailScanner" every time it tries to process an .xlsx file
>> (Microsoft Excel 2010's format). IIRC the format is a zip container
>> with the actual Excel data inside it.
>>
>> When I run MailScanner in debug mode and send one of these files
>> through I get the error message:
>>
>> Insecure dependency in chmod while running with -T switch at
>> /opt/perl5/lib/site_perl/5.12.2/Archive/Zip/Member.pm line 490.
>>
> I saw this bug too. All the .docx attachments crash MailScanner.
> Someone opened a bug here: http://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=61930
>
> To avoid the crash, i found this workaround: set Maximum Archive Depth to 0.
> Like this, the .docx files are no longer scanned.

I opened that bug - I've ploughed some time into trying to figure out a
fix but haven't had any luck. I realise this may be a bit OT so if
anyone with perl experience is interested in discussing it off list
please feel free to e-mail me off-list. I've put some detail about where
I think the bug is occurring in the ticket:
http://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=61930.

is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any action taken or
omitted to be taken in reliance on it, any form of reproduction,
dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and/or
publication of this E-mail message is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this E-mail message in error, please notify
us immediately. Please also destroy and delete the message from your
computer.