spam.blacklist.rules

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 12:32:34 IST 2010

On 30 September 2010 23:18, Ludgero Parreira <bttterceira at net.sapo.pt> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have this file: /etc/MailScanner/rules/spam.blacklist.rules with all the
> email address's I considered spam. This was working with no problems, but
> the last 2 or 3 days it stop, and I started to receive spam from this
> address's.
> I haven't changed anything lately and double checked my config files, and
> it's all setup as it should.
> Any idea what could have happend, or anyway I can check a log for errors ?
>
> Thanks in Advance.
> Ludgero Parreira

Well, things never break for no reason... Perhaps "no APPARENT
reason", but never "out of the blue":-)

1. The list you refer to operate on the SMTP envelope addresses, not
on whatever happen to be in the To:/From:/CC: headers. Are you sure
(from log analysis) that they really don't work?

2. There may be a typo in the rule file. Have you run "MailScanner
--lint" or similar, to ascertain that no such typo is tripping you up?

3. There is a limit on how large such rulesets can practicably be...
How many entries do you have in there? ISTR 4000 rules/ruleset being a
limit one should stay under.

4. If nothing of that helps, provide exact examples for us to help
analyse. Mail log entries, headers etc.

Cheers
--
-- Glenn