Fedora 13

Peter Farrow peter at farrows.org
Sat May 29 00:33:19 IST 2010

On 29/05/2010 00:16, David Francis wrote:
>>> Maybe not the OS of choice, but the RedHat compatible OS of choice. Any stable
>>> Enterprise class OS will work,
>>>
> I accept your point completely. While I'm going through this exercise, can you please point me to other Enterprise class OS that Admins favor? Thanks!
>
> David

If you want the minimum of hassle and maximum reliability, there are two
real choices, Centos or Red Hat Enterprise, if you want a free one, then
its Centos.

The thing is,  unless you like wading through problems created by
libraries so far up the crest of the wave you are falling down the other
side, its best to go with an OS thats really solid and uses libraries
that are not quite so bleeding edge.

Its all about having an easy life, and most people will have tested
stuff on RedHat and/or Centos, which means if you do run into a problem
someone will almst certainly have found it before you and published a fix.

If you want to go right out in front and use Fedora 13 (its probably 14
by the time I finish writing this LOL) . Then really you are on a hiding
to nothing trying to resolve library problems like the ones you found.
Its probably not in the knowledge base of most people here to have a fix
for that, because most people would say "wrong OS", and not even try.

I did not mean to be rude or too critical, but the problems you
experienced are all down to the OS, so fix the easy thing, put it on an
OS the developers would have tested it on, eg: RedHat/Centos. Its a
wasted effort trying to get it to run on Fedora 13, its simply the wrong
choice.

Centos 5.4 would be a very safe bet just now, or even 5.5, but I haven't
gone there yet, I only upgrade when a security issue, bug or feature
requirement demands it,

Other than that, I install it and forget it, thats how I like my servers
to run,

Pete