bypassing SpamAssassin and virus checks for ...

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri May 21 10:37:51 IST 2010

On 20/05/2010 18:32, Robert Lopez wrote:
> This college has contracted with an organization to handle
> all emergency communications which will be sent by text
> message to those who sign up and by email to everyone.
> That organization has requested certain "whitelisting" to
> occur on our email gateways.
>
> I have done the whitelisting I can do on Postfix.
> If I had a better understanding of Postfix, it might have
> been better to have Postfix bypass MailScanner.
>
> Now I need to tell MailScanner to allow the email to
> bypass SpamAssassin and the virus checking software.
>
> Thus far I have not utilized any RuleSets files.
> The book says bypassing SpamAssassin does not
> bypass the virus checking.
>
> As I plan I am looking at these two modifications:

> 1) Add to
> /etc/MailScanner/rules/spam.whitelist.rules
> and enable use in /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf
>
> From:		207.66.21.3		yes
> From:		69.25.199.33		yes
> From:		205.237.106.3		yes
> From:		@getrave.com		yes
> From:		@ravewireless.com	yes
> From:		@ravemobilesafety.com	yes
> From:		*cnm.edu at getrave.com	yes
> From:		No-reply at getrave.com	yes

> 2) Add to
> /etc/MailScanner/rules/virus.scanning.rules
> and enable use in /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf
>
> From:		207.66.21.3		yes
> From:		69.25.199.33		yes
> From:		205.237.106.3		yes
> From:		@getrave.com		yes
> From:		@ravewireless.com	yes
> From:		@ravemobilesafety.com	yes
> From:		*cnm.edu at getrave.com	yes
> From:		No-reply at getrave.com	yes

As the configuration setting is called "Virus Scanning =", then giving a
response of "yes" will cause it to virus-scan those emails, which is the
opposite of what you want. It's dead simple, all a ruleset does is vary
the response to the configuration setting depending on properties of the
message. So if you want to say "Virus Scanning = no" for messages from
no-reply at getrave.com, then you clearly have to put "no" in the ruleset
file line for that address.

There is a much simpler way, just use a ruleset on "Scan Messages" as
that is the global switch you are looking for.

Jules.

> The two sets of lines are exactly the same in both of the files.
> It seems redundant. Because in a real emergency the
> service will "open multiple SMTP connections and attempt to
> send a large number of emails in a short period of time" I
> should be concerned with system load.
>
> Are my plans sufficient?
> Is there something more efficient I should consider?

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng

Need help customising MailScanner?