White lists.

Richard Mealing richard at fastnet.co.uk
Thu May 6 15:21:48 IST 2010

Hi Jules,

-----Original Message-----
From: mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info
[mailto:mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info] On Behalf Of Julian
Field
Sent: 06 May 2010 14:26
To: MailScanner discussion
Subject: Re: White lists.

On 06/05/2010 14:09, Richard Mealing wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've had a couple of instances where a user has sent out a mail shot,
> but copied themselves in and received their email back, but as spam.
>
> The problem is, this particular domain is not being scanned for spam,
> nor has the domain got a white list (we use white lists per domain in
> a flat file).
>
> I see in the logs, something like this -
>
> o45ID9D6093076 from 212.**.191.99 (info at thedomain.com
> <mailto:info at thedomain.com>) ignored whitelist, had 138 recipients
(>20)

> May 5 19:14:45 mailfilter9 MailScanner[47546]: Message o45ID9D6093076
> from 212.**.191.99 (info at thedomain.com <mailto:info at thedomain.com>) to

> ..... Then all the recipients.
>
> It does not say anything about the email being caught as spam, nor
> does it say it delivered it as an attachment, I guess because they
> have nothing set in my forwarding rules and the domain is not in the
> scanning rules.
>
> I can tell them to send out through a non mailscanner relay server,
> also I have only seen this twice in the last few months. Maybe because

> it's only been reported to me twice.
>
> I just wondered has anyone seen anything like this before, or would
> you know why the sender would get their email back with the spam tag?
> As far as I can see the emails they sent out are fine.

Have you seen this in MailScanner.conf:

# Spammers have learnt that they can get their message through by
sending
# a message with lots of recipients, one of which chooses to whitelist
# everything coming to them, including the spammer.
# So if a message arrives with more than this number of recipients,
ignore
# the "Is Definitely Not Spam" whitelist.
Ignore Spam Whitelist If Recipients Exceed = 20

?

> I'm running FreeBSD 7.2 (all upgraded), I'm using the latest
> Mailscanner Beta 4.80.4. Latest Clamd and SpamAssassin.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Rich

Jules

I did read that, but should they be getting a spam tagged email if they
are not being scanned in the first place?

I also have this set in MailScanner.conf -

# Do you want to check messages to see if they are spam?
# Note: If you switch this off then *no* spam checks will be done at
all.
#       This includes both MailScanner's own checks and SpamAssassin.
#       If you want to just disable the "Spam List" feature then set
#       "Spam List =" (i.e. an empty list) in the setting below.
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
Spam Checks = %rules-dir%/spam.scanning.rules

In this file I have - To:     default         no

Then I have a list of domains that I want to scan, but the domain below
is not in this file, so should not be scanned at all.

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng

Need help customising MailScanner?
Contact me!