White lists.

Richard Mealing richard at fastnet.co.uk
Thu May 6 14:09:28 IST 2010

Hi everyone,

I've had a couple of instances where a user has sent out a mail shot,
but copied themselves in and received their email back, but as spam.

The problem is, this particular domain is not being scanned for spam,
nor has the domain got a white list (we use white lists per domain in a
flat file).

I see in the logs, something like this -

o45ID9D6093076 from 212.**.191.99 (info at thedomain.com) ignored
whitelist, had 138 recipients (>20)

May  5 19:14:45 mailfilter9 MailScanner[47546]: Message o45ID9D6093076
from 212.**.191.99 (info at thedomain.com) to ..... Then all the
recipients.

It does not say anything about the email being caught as spam, nor does
it say it delivered it as an attachment, I guess because they have
nothing set in my forwarding rules and the domain is not in the scanning
rules.

I can tell them to send out through a non mailscanner relay server, also
I have only seen this twice in the last few months. Maybe because it's
only been reported to me twice.

I just wondered has anyone seen anything like this before, or would you
know why the sender would get their email back with the spam tag? As far
as I can see the emails they sent out are fine.

I'm running FreeBSD 7.2 (all upgraded), I'm using the latest Mailscanner
Beta 4.80.4. Latest Clamd and SpamAssassin.

Many thanks

Rich