Extracting those last drops of performance

Steve Freegard steve.freegard at fsl.com
Wed May 5 13:10:48 IST 2010

On 04/05/10 17:44, Zaeem Arshad wrote:
> I am using caching dns, ram disk for processing, clamd, compiled
> spamassassin rules and optimized scheduler and filesystems in this
> server. Any ideas on how I can tweak the above settings to gain more
> MailScanner performance?

Set 'Log Speed = yes' in MailScanner.conf; then plot the average time
spent per message.  This is the key metric when tuning; it should be <
10 seconds and preferably 2-3 secs.

That's the most important thing to do *first*.  That way you can measure
the difference once any tuning has been done.

By far the most heavyweight process is going to be SpamAssassin - so
that's most likely the area you are going to need to focus on.  Are you
using Bayes?  If so - using which storage method?

Regards,
Steve.