OT: POP and virtual users

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Tue Mar 30 13:22:57 IST 2010

I've got a question about how POP works (if at all) with sendmail
virtual users.

Here's the situation:
I've got a user that has an account on one of our hosted domains. That
user's account is "mail at thedomain.com". For now, it's on another server,
but I'm getting ready to move it to a more current server. I'll create a
virtual user in the virtusertable "mail at thedomain.com
mailxxx at thedomain.com" so as not to interfere with anything related to
"mail" on the server.

When I set up the account on the user's machine, I'm having problems
seeing how I should set this up. They only use our server for incoming
mail, and use another ISP for outgoing. So here's the snag. The account
will remain mail at thedomain.com. Setting up their SMTP server is not a
problem as it will stay the same. When I set up the POP server pointing
to our server, when the MUA requests  retrieval of mail, will POP use
the virtual table entry "mail at thedomain.com" to retrieve mail from the
mailxxx mailbox? These accounts are UNIX users on the server, BTW.

If not, how is the best way to set up all of this? Up until now, I've
not needed to worry about this problem, and the old server users
linuxconf (really old, huh?) to handle this. I don't think the user
really wants to change their email account name, and since they're
paying for it, I kinda have to oblige.

Thanks for any enlightenment.

Steve Campbell