MCP notifications when blocking

Michael Mansour micoots at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 27 22:05:24 GMT 2010

Hi Glenn,

> > Hi,
> >
> > I have MCP enabled for a couple of domains.
> >
> > One of them has asked that:
> >
> > 1. emails "From" their domain that trigger an MCP
> block, generates a "notice"
> >
> > 2. that the notice goes to an email address they've
> provided
> >
> > Obviously so they can see if the message blocked from
> them by MCP is valid or not.
> >
> > I've spent quite some time trying to figure out how to
> do this but am not sure.
> >
> > Anyone have any suggestions?
> >
> > Michael.
> >
> I think you could reach better results, and way more
> flexibility, with
> the newer SA rule hit actions. Having said that, what they

I realise this but if you read some posts from me over the last few weeks on this list I've had very poor results from the SA rule hit actions with no real fixes to make it work properly.

For example, I can't use a rules file for it, I can't tell it to perform certain actions based on the SA score, etc.

It sounds good in theory but in practice I haven't been able to make it work as advertised.

> want is a
> "forward someone at somewhe.re",
> right? Don't the MCP actions support
> that? I sure thought they did...

That's not really what they want no. What they want is a notification when something is blocked, like the sender or recipient reports in MailScanner, not the actual message that was blocked being forwarded to them.

This is getting all way too hard :)

Michael.