Release Problem with Message ID

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 19:46:59 GMT 2010

On 22 March 2010 11:55, Paul <housey at sme-ecom.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Im am using MailScanner 4.78.17, rpm install on Centos 5 and sendmail as my
> mta
>
> I have recently had a problem where customers that are using Exchange 2007
> were not getting the messages they released from quarantine (I just copy the
> qf and df files to the mail queue).
>
> I tracked this down to Exchange treating the released message as a duplicate
> as it had the same Message-ID as the message advising an attachment had been
> blocked.
>
> I have
>
> Quarantine Whole Messages As Queue Files = yes
>
> and I can see in my quarantine files are indeed quarantined as qf and df
> files.
>
> I can see other people have had the same problem and the advice was to make
> use of the following config option in MailScanner.conf
>
> Remove These Headers = X-Mozilla-Status: X-Mozilla-Status2:
>
> I have set it to
>
> Remove These Headers = X-Mozilla-Status: X-Mozilla-Status2: Message-Id:
> and restarted MailScanner
>
> But the message ID is not being removed - I can manually view the file in
> quarantine and its still there.
>
> When looking at the Message ID in the raw qf file it actually appears as
>
> H??Message-ID:
>
> So I also tried
>
> Remove These Headers = X-Mozilla-Status: X-Mozilla-Status2: Message-Id:
> But it still not did get removed.
>
> Any ideas? Can someone confirm this works in 4.78.17
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Paul

This isn't actually an MS problem, as you've demonstrated... Easiest
way to circumvent it all is to do as MailWatch (plain vanilla, not the
sendmail command thing) does, and construct a separate message where
the release message is attached.
The shortcoming of Exchange stems from  the underlying database... And
Message-ID being a primary key, sort of.

Cheers
-- Glenn