Emails Randomly Reaching Destination

Gerard Cleary gcle at smcaus.com.au
Sun Mar 21 22:03:20 GMT 2010

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 00:05:39 Vernon Webb wrote:
> When sending emails out they sometimes reach their destination and
>  sometimes not.

We have a Linux mail server which runs milter-greylist among other things.
Some of our smaller (~20 users) customers reported your scenario with perhaps
50% of their eMails getting through.  An analysis of our mail logs showed that
their mail server (invariably MS Exchange) was not handling bounces properly.
I checked the MS Knowledge Base and found greylisting mentioned in conjunction
with an Exchange setting called Glitch-Retry-Interval.
I sent the MS Knowledge Base document to the customer who usually has to call
in IT resources to change the Exchange configuration files. When this 1 minute
change is made to the Exchange Server, their eMails get to us 100% of the
time.
My conclusion is that MS Exchange doesn't handle bounces "out of the box".

HTH.
Gerard.