10 years of MailScanner

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Mar 13 18:16:47 GMT 2010

On 11:59 AM, Julian Field wrote:
> MailScanner is just about to reach its 10th anniversary.

Congratulations!

> Yes, believe it or not, I took on this crazy idea 10 years ago! How time
> flies.
>
> We are planning a big news release and celebration here at work to
> commemorate this.

Well deserved!

> What I need from you guys are some comments and "sound bites" saying
> what you think of MailScanner, what  you like about it, why you use it.
> I'm looking for a real variety of comments from all over the world, East
> and West, big sites and small, so if you've got something to say then I
> want to hear it!

I run a relatively small server supporting just three domains. When I
was first setting this up, I installed MailScanner on the recommendation
of a friend. I love it.

Actually, all things equal, I would prefer a solution that would allow
me to not accept mail at incoming SMTP time, but all things are not
equal. I do employ greylisting and of course I don't accept mail that
would not be deliverable, but for the rest, I find the
comprehensiveness, flexibility and configurability of MailScanner via
simple rule sets to far outweigh this drawback.

Jules' support of MailScanner and responsiveness to problems,
suggestions and requests are outstanding, at least 11 on a 10 scale.

I would not want to run a mail server without MailScanner.