Updating to perl-IO-Compress

Brad Beckenhauer bbecken at aafp.org
Wed Mar 10 16:59:00 GMT 2010

I'm running CentOS 5.4 Final

I ran a yum update this morning and found that perl-Compress-Zlib was
being replaced by perl-IO-Compress.   I went ahead and did the update
and then discovered that MailScanner 4.79.11 would not start. Doh!

A MailScanner --lint is below showing the resulting error if you update
to perl-IO-Compress.

I restored my system by removing (yum remove perl-IO-Compress) and then
re-installing MailScanner.

thanks and don't get caught like I did.

# yum update
Dependencies Resolved
==========================================================================================================================================
  Package                               Arch
Version                              Repository                    Size
==========================================================================================================================================
Installing:
  perl-IO-Compress                      noarch
2.024-1.el5.rf                       rpmforge                     242 k
      replacing  perl-Compress-Zlib.i386 1.41-2

# MailScanner --lint
  is only avaliable with the XS version at
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/Compress/Zlib.pm line 9
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/Compress/Zlib.pm line 9.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/SA.pm
line 42.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/SA.pm line 42.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 110.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 110.