Ubuntu Support

Richard Potter rpotter at rpcs.net
Fri Mar 5 01:12:02 GMT 2010

On Thu, March 4, 2010 11:54 am, Robert Lopez wrote:

> "Canonical does not provide updates for mailscanner. Some updates may
> be provided by the Ubuntu community."
>
> It works very well on Ubuntu using the default release.
>
> I also work in an environment where policies set by others demand only
> package upgrades on long term stable releases.
> At this site, MailScanner on Ubuntu may be ancient by MailScanner
> standards (due to Debian and Ubuntu support by the way, not due to
> MailScanner support for Ubuntu) but we are all very happy with it.
>
> We do do one thing different. We use postfix instead of exim. So we
> had to install MailScanner, remove Exim, then install Postfix. That
> may need to be repeated if there is ever an upgrade for MailScanner
> available.

If long term stable releases are important, and MailScanner is important
your enviroment, why not run RHEL, Centos or Oracle Enterprise linux?

MailScanner is built/designed around those.

I am a Ubuntu fan, running it on my desktop and file/nfs servers where up
to date hardware support is important. But for good old fashioned uptime
important mail servers, I run Centos.

Richard