MailScanner and Sendmail on Centos 5.5

Brad Beckenhauer bbecken at aafp.org
Wed Jun 23 22:31:52 IST 2010

I'm building a new MailScanner system on Centos 5.5-64bit and this time I'm wanting to use Sendmail instead of Postfix.  My experience base has been with Postfix, so I've been doing abit of reading for the archives.

I read the "Configure Sendmail" notes on http://mailscanner.info/other.html and looked at the sendmail startup script.   I could insert the recommended sendmail start lines into the script, but I'm not so sure about how it will effect the "sm-msp-queue" code just below it.

Since I'm a newbie at Sendmail, I wanted to ask for input for those of you who have more sendmail experience.

Here are the recommend start lines from the mailscanner.info website and the "start" code section from the sendmail start script.

How are you sendmail folks configuring your systems?

- thank you

Brad

    sendmail -bd -q15m

You should change this to the following two lines:

    sendmail -bd -OPrivacyOptions=noetrn -ODeliveryMode=queueonly -OQueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue.in
    sendmail -q15m

start() {
        # Start daemons.

        echo -n $"Starting $prog: "
        if test -x /usr/bin/make -a -f /etc/mail/Makefile ; then
          make all -C /etc/mail -s > /dev/null
        else
          for i in virtusertable access domaintable mailertable ; do
            if [ -f /etc/mail/$i ] ; then
                makemap hash /etc/mail/$i < /etc/mail/$i
            fi
          done
        fi
        /usr/bin/newaliases > /dev/null 2>&1
        daemon /usr/sbin/sendmail $([ "x$DAEMON" = xyes ] && echo -bd) \
                        $([ -n "$QUEUE" ] && echo -q$QUEUE) $SENDMAIL_OPTARG
        RETVAL=$?
        echo
        [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/sendmail

        if ! test -f /var/run/sm-client.pid ; then
        echo -n $"Starting sm-client: "
        touch /var/run/sm-client.pid
        chown smmsp:smmsp /var/run/sm-client.pid
        if [ -x /usr/sbin/selinuxenabled ] && /usr/sbin/selinuxenabled; then
            /sbin/restorecon /var/run/sm-client.pid
        fi
        daemon --check sm-client /usr/sbin/sendmail -L sm-msp-queue -Ac \
                        -q$SMQUEUE $SENDMAIL_OPTARG
        RETVAL=$?
        echo
        [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/sm-client
        fi

        return $RETVAL
}