How to send Mail to another server

Peter Farrow peter at farrows.org
Fri Jun 18 22:56:16 IST 2010

To pass off  specific_user at somedomain.co.uk, when the server already
delivers locally will require a sub domain or alternate hidden domain to
move the mail onto for that specific user.

For example, if sendmail has somedmain.co.uk in its local-host-names
then all mail for that domain is considered local.

The only way to redirect a mail for a specific user is to either have a
separate address for that user which is hosted by the other server and
referenced either by MX or mailertable, or to deliver directly to the
fully qualified domain name of the other server as follows:

since the server already handles everything at somedomain.co.uk, if you are
using a virtusertable you can add a line like this:

specific_user at somedomain.co.uk
specific_user at otherservername.somedomain.co.uk

if you are not using a virtusertable you can add it to /etc/aliases

specific_user:            specific_user at otherservername.somedomain.co.uk

and run newaliases after the change.

you can check delivery with:

sendmail -bv specific_user

Don't forget to make sure the the other server is configured to accept
mail delivered to its fully qualified hostname,

Regards

Pete

--
horizontal ruler