MailScanner ANNOUNCE: Dropoff

Brad Beckenhauer bbecken at aafp.org
Mon Jun 14 21:53:43 IST 2010

I downloaded the dropoff vm.

Since the download site did not list if the vm was 32-bit or 64-bit, I used 64-bit and it started ok.  It also may become more important later to also list what version of Ubanto was used to create the vm or include the configuration file in the zip file.

After logging in I tried running the "sudo su -" command, entered the password and kept getting back "dropoff is not in the sudoers file....".

I'm calling it a day here.  Looking forward to giving dropoff a trial run.

thank you
brad

>>> On 6/12/2010 at 10:11 AM, in message <EMEW3|bee9c7813b8ef9e47abc6f36b6120ec1m5BGB20bMailScanner|ecs.soton.ac.uk|4C13A385.1020503 at ecs.soton.ac.uk>, Jules Field <MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

The Scenario:

You have installed MailScanner at your site to protect all your users
and clients from all sorts of dangerous email content.
Okay so far.
But your users need to be able to send large files, executables, and all
sorts of other things that they used to try to send by email. Some of
these are restricted by MailScanner, others (such as large files) are
restricted by your email system's capacity.
And your users also need to be able to receive files from other sites
around the world, without having any username/password access to your
systems.
And it needs to be secure.

So your users need to be able to send and receive all sort of files and
email is not the right tool for the job.

Say "Hello!" to Dropoff.

This is a simple web-based system where your users can send and receive
files to and from anyone in the world, and yet it can't be used for
public warez or porn sharing.

Anyone in the world can send files to you (but not to the rest of the
world), and your users can send files to anyone in the world. All
uploaded files are scanned for viruses, so it's safe. Authentication of
your users can be done via Active Directory, LDAP, IMAP or a static
file. It's small, light-weight, simple and safe. It's all written in PHP
so you can read the source and add or change features as you desire.

Take a look at
             www.dropoff.me
where you can read about it and download it.

It's entirely free and open source, of course.

Note: I did not write all of this. Dropoff is my fork of the "Dropbox"
package originally written at the University of Delaware. I have added
new features and fixed some bugs. I intend to continue developing it as
needed.

Let me know what you think!

Jules

--