Start/Stop script for mailScanner

Stephen Swaney steve at fsl.com
Sun Jun 13 14:57:44 IST 2010

Will,

some observations are below.

On Jun 13, 2010, at 8:50 AM, Will Merkens wrote:

> System:
>
> MailScanner 4.80.1
> Sendmail 8.14.3
>
> I am finding a issue with the /etc/init.d/MailScanner start/stop script as it is not seem to be stopping sendmail.

Is sendmail still being started by the systems default init script? The MailScanner script should be used to start sendmail, NOT the systems default script.

You can see if this is the porblem:

	1. Stop MailScanner using the MailScanner init script
	2. Kill any sendmail processes that are still running
	3. Start MailScanner using the MailScanner init script

If MailScanner starts working, this was the problem.

You don't say what OS you are using but from the location of the MailScanner start script, But it looks like it might be Red Hat, CentOS od som other similar Linux variant. If so these commands might also help.

To see if the systems sendmail init script is configured "on", run:

	chkconfig sendmail --list

This should return

	sendmail       	0:off	1:off	2:off	3:off	4:off	5:off	6:off

Anything else is a problem.

To turn off the systems sendmail init script run:

	chkconfig sendmail off

> Symptoms show up as messages with out X-...-mail-MailScanner headers and the logs show it started but do not show any
>
> Jun 13 06:32:20 gateway MailScanner[2834]: New Batch: Scanning 1 messages, 2659 bytes
> Jun 13 06:32:20 gateway MailScanner[2834]: Virus and Content Scanning: Starting
> Jun 13 06:32:33 gateway MailScanner[2834]: Spam Checks: Starting
>
> Also
>
> When you do a service MailScanner stop (/etc/init.dMailScanner stop) and do a ps ax | grep send you often still see sendmail running.
>
> As soon as this occurs and you start MailScanner it comes back no error and shows it started but in actuality it's not doing anything.
>
> The only way I seem to be able to correct this to kill the PID's of sendmail after MailScanner is stopped to insure that clean ones are started .
>
> ps. Side note, where do wiki content page errors get sent too.
>
> on http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php
>
> in Tips and tweaks
>
> Clustering MailScanner with CentOS and Pirahna
> Acne Scar Removal
> Teen Chat
> Dating Chat Rooms
>
> What the heck are 3 spam/non MailScanner related sites doing in these links.

I hope this helps,

Steve
--
Steve Swaney
steve at fsl.com
www.fsl.com
The most accurate and cost effective anti-spam solutions available