Problem with 4.80.7 rpm install.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jun 3 21:17:33 IST 2010

My system is CentOS 5. I was running MailScanner 4.80.4. In my
configuration I have

Run As User = postfix
Run As Group = postfix

I downloaded
<http://www.mailscanner.info/files/4/rpm/MailScanner-4.80.7-1.rpm.tar.gz>,
unpacked it and ran the install.sh script as usual.

MailScanner --lint

ran normally, but when I ran

service MailScanner restartms

children died during initialization with

Jun  3 12:35:56 sbh16 MailScanner[22147]: Cannot create temporary Work
Dir /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/22147. Are the permissions and
ownership of /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming correct?

This would then spawn another child which would die the same way.

It seems the install process (run as root) changed the owner of
/var/spool/MailScanner/incoming from postfix to root.

chown postfix /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/

fixed the problem, but the owner shouldn't have been changed in the
first place.