FileType rules show executable even though file shows data -- Please help fix.

Peter Ong peter.ong at hypermediasystems.com
Thu Jul 8 15:29:16 IST 2010

Hey Mark,

So much of the time, I'm playing catch up as I quell fires and I miss the little details. Thanks for the edifying replies. Last night, I actually had some quiet time to read through the links you posted, and now I understand better. Although, I do not understand what "All Match" means and how it applies or behaves in the case of the filetype rules file.

Initially, I thought it went down the line and stopped at the first match as described in "First Match", but the documentation clearly says otherwise. Also, based on the other replies, I had the mechanics of scanning all wrong; I learned that the msg-1234-1.txt is scanned by file and file -i. Now I just don't know how that, the All Match behavior, and whether one field is ignored or both are accepted or if the third of five is filled whether second of five is required, etc. You've alluded to this already, but there was behavior last week that keeps me confused. I'll experiment more today.

I emailed Jules the original as he had requested. Maybe he will have something about it today.