MailScanner Bug - Privacy Advisory

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Jul 2 16:24:15 IST 2010

This only occurs if you choose to use the "$to" variable in your
inline.spam.warning.txt.
It is not present in the default templates I ship.

I would therefore suggest 2 things:
1. You remove the "Dear $to" line from your own inline.spam.warning.txt
report file.
2. I remove "$to" from the list of available variables which can be used
in that report file.

How about it?

Jules.

On 01/07/2010 23:39, Noel Butler wrote:
> Directed at:    Those using :  Inline Spam Warning,
> %report-dir%/inline.spam.warning.txt
>
> Date first reported:                  May 17, 2010    (noticed one
> month earlier, delayed reporting in case kernel.org messed up)
> Date subsequently reported:   June 11, 2010
> Initial response                         June 12, 2010
> Response update                     June 12, 2010
> Acknowledgment                     none received
>
> Severity:       Moderate (IMO)

> displays all recipients in the warning message that are sent to all users.

> on the system, but also on, for example this mailing list.
> This must be a failure of the privacy mechanism.
> Message headers in each delivered message received by the recipient
> (verified by my own and one other recipient of that list who was kind
> enough to forward full headers,) do not include the other envelope
> recipients, it is only contained in the MailScanner generated message.
>

> Example:
>
> Dear user1 at domain, user2 at domain, user3 at domain <mailto:user3 at domain> , ...
> (This messages yielded 7 addresses in the Dear ... field all up in the
> one I personally got)
>
> MailScanner believes the attached message which was sent to you,
> From       : linux-kernel-announce-owner at removed
> <mailto:linux-kernel-announce-owner at removed>  (but I'm sure most here
> are smart enough to know the domain)
>
> ...  (nothing else is relevant so is not included)
>

> I am posting this to make those using the same method  aware of this
> privacy issue given no action has been taken (yes, I read the
> changelog,  I have been keeping an eye on it often)

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng

Need help customising MailScanner?