Off Topic: Caching Bind Server Freezing

Peter Farrow peter at farrows.org
Wed Jan 27 20:02:15 GMT 2010

I have had this problem persistently on Centos 5.3 boxes running
MailScanner.

Bind became such a problem on these machines I added several other
nameservers in resolve.conf.

Bind daemon appears to be running but does not respond to service stop
command nor does answer any queries.

To stop it I find the process number kill -9 it and then restart with
the service command, it will then run for a random amount of time from
hours to weeks and then go again,

I think its a bug.

Pete

On 27/01/2010 19:17, Gottschalk, David wrote:
> Yeah, I was planning on upgrading to a new version of BIND, as I suspect that this might be a bug. I just wanted to see if others had experienced this issue at all.
>
> I'm running RHEL 5. Nothing in the logs to note, I don't think named is short on memory. The servers each have 8GB of ram.
>
> David Gottschalk
> UTS Email team
> david.gottschalk at emory.edu

horizontal ruler

Peter Farrow
Home: 	01249 654183
Fax: 	01249 461 548
Mobile: 	07799605617
Skype: 	peter_farrow
Web: 	www.peterfarrow.com <http://www.peterfarrow.com>

dangerous content by the Inexcom system Scanner,
and is believed to be clean.
Advanced heuristic mail scanning server [-].
http://www.inexcom.co.uk