OT postfix recipient verification

Jason Ede J.Ede at birchenallhowden.co.uk
Sun Jan 10 16:31:26 GMT 2010

I've checked both our mail servers as thoroughly as I can, and recipient verification is working as it should do and no matter how many bad addresses are there it finds and allows mail through to valid users from the to, cc and bcc field. The only issue on our system is that I found the recipient verification code (for non-existent addresses) on one of our servers was 450, which I've changed to 550.

For now they've fixed the problem by removing all their invalid addresses and I've suggested the idea of a distribution list for all of their future web server work as it makes life much easier for both us and them and they seem to think it was a great idea and wondered why they hadn't thought of that before.

I've not been able to get hold of one of their bounce messages that didn't get through and looking back at the smtp logs it seems that verification was done ok on all addresses that it was requested on. Suspect a problem at their end, possibly in the mail generation.

Jason