OT postfix recipient verification

Rick Cooper rcooper at dwford.com
Wed Jan 6 20:13:04 GMT 2010

----Original Message----
From: mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info
[mailto:mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info] On Behalf Of Alex
Neuman Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 1:26 PM To: MailScanner discussion
Subject: Re: OT postfix recipient verification

> Not the way you define it, no. You either change what comes into the
> system (by splitting recipients so recipient verification works) or you
> change what the system does (by disabling recipient verification, which
> is potentially catastrophic).

Why would recipient verification be catastrophic? I would think any
responsible system would verify recipients before accepting the mail.

> On Jan 6, 2010, at 1:10 PM, Jason Ede wrote:
>
>> My response so far has been that they need to fix their list of email
>> recipients to all be valid addresses as basic maintenance anyway, but
>> they're worried that if someone on the To list leaves then emails will
>> suddenly stop coming through again. Any ways round this?

The way I handle these distributions within our company(s) is these types of
mails are sent to an alias that explodes into the actual recipients. I do
this for the very reason stated, it's easier for me to replace someone on
the alias list than manage all the points from which the contact might
originate. Anything that relates to say sales at abc.com, service at abc.com is
handled the same way.

believed to be clean.