backscatter / ndr / smtp auth issues

Rick Cooper rcooper at dwford.com
Mon Feb 22 20:24:57 GMT 2010

----Original Message----
From: mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info
[mailto:mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info] On Behalf Of Gavin
Silver Sent: Monday, February 22, 2010 1:41 PM To: MailScanner discussion
Subject: RE: backscatter / ndr / smtp auth issues

> That server is not my mailscanner but shouldn't mailscanner not accept
> the message in the first place to relay onto my clients domain if the
> user doesn't exist (smtp auth)

Mailscanner doesn't validate users, your MTA does/should. I have had this
type of bounce when I deleted a user from the mail system but missed them on
a forward. A copy of each sales person's mail is forwarded to a manager and
the manager was removed from the user base but not the .forward files. The
mail is delivered for the envelope recipient but the manager address in the
.forward file results in an internal  (from my MTA to my MTA) bounce when
the forward is attempted.

> Gavin Silver

believed to be clean.