Zlib and zleb-devel missing, what's unrar, and do I care?

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn at whidbey.com
Wed Feb 17 11:01:39 GMT 2010

I just started setting up a new server, which meant a fresh install of
MailScanner.

I ran the RPM-based installer, as I'm running CentOS, and also used the
ClamAV 0.95.3/SpamAssassin 3.3.0 installer.

MailScanner reported that there were no AV scanners installed,
suggesting frequently in maillog that this wasn't a really bright idea
on my part. I reran the Clam/SA installer a couple of times before
noticing that it bitched about zlib and zlib-devel not being installed
early in the process and just kept running until the final success,
which actually wasn't success at all. Manually installing those allowed
the install to run, and MailScanner stopped bitching about it. I would
think that if these elements are central to the installer running, and
if RHEL/CentOS don't consider them part of the basic install, that they
ought to be included in the installer (a ton of other things are), or at
the very least the installer ought to exit at that point with a clear
message about the trivial fix. (yum install zlib zlib-devel)

So MS is running merrily along. However, it keeps carping about
"/usr/sbin/unrar does not exist or is not executable". Okay, it doesn't
exist. So off to "yum provides */unrar", and learn that it doesn't exist
in the CentOS universe, apparently. Now what?

Van

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted at whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For photography, web design, hosting, and maintenance,
visit Van's home page: http://www.domainvanhorn.com/van/