debugging mailscanner

Supun Rathnayake supunr at lankacom.net
Mon Feb 15 10:14:56 GMT 2010

Hi Jules,

Thanks for the reply.

Before writing to the list, I did all those steps ( yes even went
through the code and there I found that MS can debug most of the
activities )
that is why I tried "MailScanner --debug " but it did not give me enough
info what I wanted to trouble shoot my problem.

MailScanner --lint in fact detected the virus scanner correctly but did
neither checked the test "Eicar" virus scanning nor gave any error there
, but with the clamav

So finally what I did is , in parallel I set up and configured
amavisd-new for virus scanning with kaspersky and clamav as above in
MailScanner
and at the first instance itself it showed very clearly in mail logs
that there is a permission problem with some log and virus database
files pertaining to kaspersky
and within a matter of few minutes I was able to fix the setup.

Then later with the correct permission set on the kaspersky related
files, I switched back to MailScanner and then it started virus scanning
with the kaspersky + clamav and now even MailScanner --lint shows
correct scanning of Eicar test virus by both virus scanners

So if MS was able to show me these error messages, or at lease a part of
it, I could have got this setup up and running very early.
In fact I had to spent more than two weeks for this config, even after
having used MailScanner for couple of years now.

It seems the kaspersky command line scanner is really slow compared to
clamav, I might have to check KAV daemon version

but any way still I like MailScanner because of its' flexibility and
versatility.

Thanks Guys,

Supun.