How do I block all attachments

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Feb 2 09:23:52 GMT 2010

See

# The maximum number of attachments allowed in a message before it is
# considered to be an error. Some email systems, if bouncing a message
# between 2 addresses repeatedly, add information about each bounce as
# an attachment, creating a message with thousands of attachments in just
# a few minutes. This can slow down or even stop MailScanner as it uses
# all available memory to unpack these thousands of attachments.
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
Maximum Attachments Per Message = 200

and if that doesn't do what you want then there is this as well:

# The maximum size, in bytes, of any attachment in a message.
# If this is set to zero, effectively no attachments are allowed.
# If this is set less than zero, then no size checking is done.
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset, so you can have different
# settings for different users. You might want to set this quite small for
# large mailing lists so they don't get deluged by large attachments.
Maximum Attachment Size = -1

I would probably advise trying "Maximum Attachment Size = 0" first, as
the other setting's definition of an attachment is not quite as simple
as I would like.

On 02/02/2010 05:21, ram wrote:
> One of my clients wishes to block *all* attachments for outgoing , due
> to security concerns
> How can I do this ?
> If I use postfix as an MTA , can I achieve this with a simple header
> checks

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng