100% CPU load. Perl module problem?

Steve Freegard steve.freegard at fsl.com
Wed Dec 29 00:41:05 GMT 2010

On 28/12/10 19:08, Glenn Steen wrote:
> So when does it go into spin? What does ps/top show the children  doing?
> What does the logs say? Have you run the analyse thing for the sa cache?
> Is it ok? What about the processing db?
>
> Boot up without starting ms, then do the lint thing and, if that is ok,
> do a MailScanner --debug --degug-sa ... And send a message through...
> What does thst give you?
>
> What av do you run?

When debugging such issues myself I always use 'strace' and 'ltrace'.
Use 'top' to find the process taking up all the CPU, note the PID then run:

strace -p <pid>

Often it's then possible to use a bit of guesswork to narrow down the
cause a bit or at least pinpoint a problematic file or message.  If a
file descriptor is being read; then you can not the FD number and then
look in /proc/<pid>/fd/<fdno> to find out which file/message and help
narrow things down further.

Regards,
Steve.