OT [sort of]: Dropping To address before mailscanner

Mike Tremaine mgt at stellarcore.net
Fri Dec 17 16:49:06 GMT 2010

> If you do not want replies or handle the bounces its BCP to use an empty
> envelope sender.
> Save all parties a lot of noise.
>
> Anything else is a waste of cycles, bandwidth and makes zero sense.
>
> Of course, if you're sending mail to rcpts and its bouncing back, you
> shouldn't be sending it in the first place..

Sadly the world is an imperfect place. I have no control over the sender's configuration. They are a very large company that handles the webservers and the newsletters go out from their servers. The bounces are due to bit rot in the mailling lists. The problem comes from the 6-10  in their smtp cluster, they can drop 1,000 of emails a minute into my stack. We get through it but I'd rather not spend the CPU cycles on it.

Hopefully the DISCARD action will handle it. I just have to wait for the next bubble to be sure.

-Mike