Archive Mail addition to retain original recipient when forwarding

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Dec 13 14:44:11 GMT 2010

On 10/12/2010 16:10, Dave Jones wrote:
>> Dave,
>> How about :
>> # Do you want to add the Envelope-To: header?
>> # This can be useful for tracking spam destinations, but should be
>> # used with care due to possible privacy concerns with the use of
>> # Bcc: headers by users.
>> # Note also that this information can be added conditionally by using
>> # the "_TO_" word in a "header" action for Spam Actions, High Scoring
>> # Spam Actions, Non-Spam Actions and SpamAssassin Rule Actions.
>> # This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
>> Add Envelope To Header = no
>> # This is the name of the Envelope To header
>> # controlled by the option above.
>> # This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
>> Envelope To Header = X-%org-name%-MailScanner-To:
>> Denis
>> Denis Beauchemin, analyste
>> Université de Sherbrooke, S.T.I.
>> T: 819.821.8000x62252 F: 819.821.8045
> Thanks for the reminder.  I can work with this.  The best option would
> be only add this header for the archived copy of the message that
> stays internal on my network and not the real message going to
> /from the Internet.
If you archive to a file rather than to an email address, you can
guarantee that your archive will actually contain all the details (and
only the details) from the original message that entered your site.

Any archiving to an address will necessarily change the exact contents
of the headers (by the MTA sending it from MailScanner and the MTA
receiving it at your archiver) and therefore is not a true
representation of the original email.

That could cause you big legal headaches in the future, which is why I
would strongly advise you to archive to a filesystem instead.

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng

Need help customising MailScanner?