Problems sending mail after MailScanner install

Mark L. Wise mark at alpha2.com
Wed Aug 18 16:59:12 IST 2010

Hello all!

I recently installed MailScanner on a server that I am responsible for
to help reduce virus infections.

Things seemed to be working great, but then I started getting calls that
outbound mail was not being delivered just to a select group of e-mail
addresses.  Since these select group of e-mail addresses represented
their significant customers, I turned MailScanner off.

My questions are:

1) Is there a way to exclude certain e-mail domains from outbound e-mail
checks?
2) How would I diagnose why the mail was not being delivered?  (I think
my maillog files show them leaving my server... could be that something
on the scanned files shows up as problems to the incoming servers at the
domains?
3) Any thoughts on why only certain domains would not get mail delivered?

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf)
Perl version 5.008008 (5.8.8)
MailScanner version 4.79.11

Thanks!

--
Mark L. Wise

Alpha II Service, Inc.
1312 Epworth Ave
Reynoldsburg, Ohio 43068-2116
USA

Office: (614) 868-5033
Fax: (614) 868-1060
Email: mark at alpha2.com
WEB: www.alpha2.com

"People do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because
they quit playing."

Oliver Wendell Holmes