MailScanner under openvz

Nick Brown nick at inticon.net.au
Tue Apr 27 01:09:49 IST 2010

On Mon, 2010-04-26 at 08:46 +0100, Julian Field wrote:

> So I dropped the kids to "2" and it starts, all good as it should.
>
> 26227 ?        Ss     0:00 MailScanner: master waiting for children,
> sleeping
> 26232 ?        S      0:02 MailScanner: waiting for messages
> 28345 ?        S      0:02 MailScanner: waiting for messages
>
> Except.. (yep there's always an "except")...
> Often, a child grabs the batch, then, the other kid grabs it,
> processing it twice, resulting in the recipient getting two copies of
> the message.
That's a locking fault.

That's what I thought but all perms seem correct.

I’ve never looked at how MailScanner handles file locking – however have seen a similar issue previously where the filesystem was stored over NFS (Which requires some rejigging to get ‘file locking support’ out of the box) however the end user was not aware due to the fact it was a Virtuozzo VE.

Nick.