OT: difficulty with moving server

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Thu Apr 15 19:31:20 IST 2010

Problem solved. See my last post.

I was able to do DNS lookups. Telnet wouldn't allow me to go outside.
Turns out, the return from servers being sent an SMTP connect was being
routed to the old firewall due to ancient ARP tables. The switch wasn't
supposed to be doing anything arp-wise, and the address for the switch
didn't even belong to us anymore.

All the logs from the firewall indicated acceptance. Maillogs indicated
timeouts. So I wasn't sure a connection was leaving the firewall or not.
It was leaving, it just wasn't getting the return handshake.

Thanks for all the pointers and help. We've never, ever had to flush
this switch before and I've been here for decades.

steve