CentOS perl issues

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Wed Apr 7 15:44:35 IST 2010

Mark McIntosh Infowall wrote on Tue, 06 Apr 2010 23:31:18 -0400:

> There is a bug
> upstream that causes perl to act badly it is documented if you search on
> google.

If you overwrite Perl modules that other modules or Perl itself depend on
it is to be expected that you run into problems. This is not a bug. Use
modules that have been built for this Perl and all is well.

I later redid my perl via non rpm centos repositories and all
> went fine. I agree disable rpmforge and use a different repository

Nonsense. The mistake you and Lance and others make is that you install the
Perl packages that come with MailScanner. I've told it several times in the
past on this list that doing it that way asks for trouble (on any OS with a
package system for updates). You do not need a single Perl module from the
MS package. All these modules are available from rpmforge and these work
fine with MS. So, you simply install them and then you install only the
mailscanner*.rpm from within the MS tarball. That's all and also much
faster.

> I later redid my perl via non rpm centos repositories and all
> went fine.

I wish you good luck the next time you get a perl update. Doing it that way
also eliminates one of the advantages of CentOS. Maybe you should use a
different OS.

Kai