OT: Question related to From: field in x-headers vs who the message actually came from.

Duncan, Brian M. brian.duncan at kattenlaw.com
Fri Sep 4 15:06:11 IST 2009

First, our sendmail servers are either incoming or outgoing for my
company. The incoming sendmail servers REJECT any messages coming in
from any of our domains.  To help keep spoofed messages out of our
environment, we reject around 35,000 spoofed messages combined per day
at the edge.

So I have started to see what I show in the headers below occasionally
now.  Can someone explain to me what is happening that knows?  And does
anyone know how to remove this possibility from occurring? I can't
replicate the behavior below with a mail client externally, so I am
guessing it has to be specifically manipulated in a non RFC compliant
manner.

I don't understand how Mailscanner has the proper From: listed in the
x-header that this message came from, but there is an x-header with the
wrong From: that outlook then displays on a users client when they open
the message. (And any local Outlook rules act upon)  If I check the
sendmail logs on the message below, it shows the message coming from
whereforeji09 at maycruz.com.

Thanks for any help!

Brian