Trying to get MCP working

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at mailscanner.open.source.it
Fri Oct 30 10:45:20 GMT 2009

On Friday 30 October 2009 10:10, Glenn Steen wrote:

> 2009/10/29, Antony Stone wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I'm trying to get Message Content Protection working and failing
> > miserably :(
> >
> > I'm using Debian Lenny, with MailScanner 4.74.16 installed from
> > backports, SpamAssassin 3.2.5, and Exim 4.69 as the MTA.
>
> Don't use MCP. Use SA rule hit actions instead. If your version lack
> that, then upgrade to one that has it...!
> Cheers

4.74.16 does have that feature, yes, however it also has the MCP feature
(which I've used in the past with older releases of MailScanner, and feel
that I understand better).  Are you saying that MCP no longer works?

In the config file they appear to be presented as two ways of achieving
similar things, but there's nothing to suggest that if I choose to use MCP,
it simply won't work...

Can you point me at an example of how to use the SA rule hit actions, if
that's the preferred (ie: working) way of doing things now?

For clarity, the specific thing I need to do is have a list of banned words,
which if any of them appear in the body or subject of an email, causes the
email to be flagged as 'unacceptable', quarantined, and a message report sent
back to the sender saying "your mail had unacceptable content and was not
delivered".

I've created the list of words as a pair of SA rules (one for the body, one
for the subject), and I know how I should use these if MCP worked; please can
you point me at an example which shows me how I should use them with SA rule
hit actions instead?

Thanks for the advice (perhaps the config file / documentation for MCP should
be updated to reflect this?),

Antony

--
The first fifty percent of an engineering project takes ninety percent of the
time, and the remaining fifty percent takes another ninety percent of the

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.