ClamAV only scanning message headers

Jared Bater mailscanner_list at phisch.ca
Thu Oct 15 17:48:31 IST 2009

Thanks. I have reviewed the performance tips for MailScanner, and our
system is extremely well optimized. We can easily push 500K messages/day
through Mailscanner/Spamassassin, in addition to the several million
that we drop at the MTA with DNSBLs.

The problem is that clamdscan does get properly called from
/opt/MailScanner/lib/clamav-wrapper (actually, a slightly modified
version of it to call calmdscan rather than clamscan).  The problem is
that only the message headers make it into my '
Incoming Work Dir’, which is set to /tmp.

Here's what clamd writes out in its log, which shows that only headers
are being scanned
:
+++ Started at Thu Oct 15 11:15:29 2009
clamd daemon 0.95.2 (OS: solaris2.8, ARCH: sparc, CPU: sparc)
Log file size limited to 2097152 bytes.
Reading databases from /var/opt/csw/clamav/db
Not loading PUA signatures.
Loaded 1174218 signatures.
Limits: Global size limit set to 104857600 bytes.
Limits: File size limit set to 26214400 bytes.
Limits: Recursion level limit set to 16.
Limits: Files limit set to 10000.
Archive support enabled.
Algorithmic detection enabled.
Portable Executable support enabled.
ELF support enabled.
Mail files support enabled.
OLE2 support enabled.
PDF support enabled.
HTML support enabled.
Self checking every 600 seconds.
/tmp/13100/8779FCC5E3.7CB46.header: OK
/tmp/13100/87806CC5E4.586C4.header: OK
/tmp/9684/ED86FCC5F6.81C14.header: OK
/tmp/497/90E90CC5FD.57D06.header: OK
/tmp/4328/A46FDCC5D7.7A0E6.header: OK
/tmp/13100/B78E6CC605.48C0A.header: OK
/tmp/3599/7F3A9CC5B8.8843E.header: OK
  <etc, etc, etc>

What would cause only the headers to be extracted?    Is there any way
to debug MS to figure out what's going wrong with the interaction with
Clamdscan?

Spamassassin has no troubles at all, by the way.

Any help and/or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Jared

#./MailScanner  -v
Running on
SunOS <snip>  sun4v sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise-T5220
This is Perl version 5.008008 (5.8.8)

This is MailScanner version 4.56.8
Module versions are:
1.00    AnyDBM_File