sendmail/mailscanner on Ubuntu (fix)

Noel Kelly nkelly at citrusnetworks.net
Wed Oct 14 20:18:48 IST 2009

Hi julian

Having just had to reinstall mailscanner/sendmail on an Ubuntu server
from the repositories and come across the popular 'how do you get the
inbound/outbound sendmail instances to start?'  queries i thought I
should document the fix for it.

Clearly I found it before because the answer was buried in the configs
from the previous server installed a few years ago.  Prior to finding it
though I came across of a lot of head-scratching threads on the forum
and the notes from Mohammed on the Ubuntu page on mailscanner.info only
mention postfix.

The answer is to edit 'DAEMON_PARMS' in /etc/mail/sendmail.conf:

DAEMON_PARMS="-bd -OPrivacyOptions=noetrn -ODeliveryMode=queueonly
-OQueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue.in";

Also you have to create the /var/spool/mqueue.in directory and change
the permissions.

Now you can start /etc/init.d/sendmail and /etc/init.d/mailscanner.

The fact that the Hardy package is an ageing 4.58.9 is another matter:
"MailScanner E-Mail Virus Scanner version 4.58.9 starting... "

I use sendmail because of some of the milters and scripts like Vispan.

Cheers
Noel