Slightly OT: Postcard Virus/SPAM

Philip Zeigler philip at zeiglers.net
Tue Oct 13 22:35:09 IST 2009

I just noticed that one of my mail servers has been compromised somehow and
has begun sending out spam/virus as if it was coming from postcard.org.  The
emails seem to be originating from my web server with the
apache at mydomain.com address.

I have stopped the sendmail out process so that these don't get sent.  This
also prevents more of these emails from being generated.  If I flush the
mail queue and restart the outbound sendmail process then more of these
emails get generated.  Until I get this cleaned up, I'm leaving it off.

My problem is that I can't figure out how they are actually getting
generated so that I can put a stop to it.  There is no trace in my
access_log files of anyone posting through a form, etc.

Has anyone else dealt with this and know how to clean up this mess.

Philip

believed to be clean.