MailScanner ANNOUNCE: New stable release 4.78.17

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Oct 3 16:21:01 IST 2009

On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 04:14:14PM -0500, donald.dawson at bakerbotts.com wrote:
> I just upgraded to the version 4.78.  The install failed due to many
> Perl-related files being deleted by the install.sh script.  I copied
> them back from another system and was able to continue.

Jules or someone else will have to address this one.

> I am using a
> custom conf file in the conf.d directory.  One issue though, the
> %org-name% variable did not replace the 'yoursite' value from
> MailScanner.conf.
>
> I had to edit the /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf file to replace
> 'yoursite' with our site name:

Yes. In my case, I also change %report-dir%, so I have to change
that too in MailScanner.conf.

The alternative is that every use of a %xxx% variable would have to be
held in abeyance until all included files are processed, and even then,
there might be issues if the definition of one variable includes another
variable.

The current "use the current definition of the variable when it's
encountered" strategy is much simpler and less prone to unintended
consequences, even though it requires changes in MailScanner.conf.

Here's a suggestion for Jules though. Immediately after defining the
%xxx% variables in MailScanner.conf, put

include /etc/MailScanner/conf.d/local_variables

or some such. Then the rpm or whatever can install an empty
/etc/MailScanner/conf.d/local_variables only if one doesn't already
exist. This will give the site the ability to redefine the variables
before they are used and allow complete configuration without touching
MailScanner.conf.

Perhaps even better, don't install /etc/MailScanner/conf.d/local_variables
at all, since every site needs to supply at least %org-name%,
%org-long-name% and %web-site% anyway, this will strongly encourage
them to define these, since the include file will be missing if they
don't.

--
Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro net       The highway is for gamblers,