Filename reporting issue - was: Filename enconding in auto-zip feature

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Oct 1 18:54:03 IST 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 05:02:04PM +0100, Jules Field wrote:

> On 30/09/2009 16:39, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> >
> >I don't have any problem with certain characters being escaped as %nn,
> >but I do think that dropping pieces of the name, in particular in some
> >cases entire 'extensions' is a problem.
> >
> It all depends on the length of the filename after the last filename
> extension has been removed. This is truncated at a fixed point. So some
> other "extensions" may be lost. I'm not sure there is any easy way,
> heuristically, of trimming the filename while leaving *all* the
> extensions, as it's unknown what is and is not an extension, and what is
> just a dot in the middle of the text of the "main" bit of the filename.

I understand. I didn't realize that the issue was because of a simple
truncation based on length. Given that, and the desire to not report
overly long names, I think it's OK the way it is, and mail admins will
just have to realize they need to see the original message or the
Filename Checks: MailScanner log message to see the original name.

I agree that trying to give priority to certain portions of the name
while shortening it is futile.

--
Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro net       The highway is for gamblers,