Quarantine behaviour

Nick Brown nick at inticon.net.au
Wed Nov 25 05:48:50 GMT 2009

Hi All,

Have happily been running MailScanner in front of 15k+ mailboxes for
some time without issue, distributed over two physically diverse mail
gateways. We have recently been looking at developing and offering a
quarantine option to users, however obviously this presents the issue
of needing to centralise the quarantine store. The last thing we want
to do is to provide a value add service at the expense of our
redundancy, so have been tasked with looking into what options we have
available to us.

In a simple world we simply configure one gateway to store quarantined
mail locally, the other to store to an NFS mount, in the event the
first server dies - so be it, quarantine stops working, presumably
mail will be dumped in a local directory and then I just have to pick
it up and move it to the quarantine store once all is well again
(Technically speaking the quarantine store will actually be a third
box, most likely connected via iSCSI).

However I'm interested to hear if this is how others have actually
seen MailScanner behave, or better yet - is there a cleaner suggestion
out there, as I can't help but feel like this is a dirty hack.The
other option that crossed my mind was to look at a MySQL file system,
however seems like overkill.

Cheers
Nick.