clamav not working?

Frank Cusack fcusack at fcusack.com
Tue Nov 24 02:00:34 GMT 2009

I'm trying to use the clamav (not clamd) virus scanner.  clamscan does
report my email as containing a virus (I'm using the eicar test virus;
and I've disabled the filename check so that it actually gets to the
virus check) but mailscanner does not process the clamav output correctly.

Looking at ProcessClamAVOutput() in SweepViruses.pm I see a lot of
pattern matching which is hurting my brain.  Ok, that is fine for
logging but why doesn't it just check the return value of clamav-wrapper
(which passes the return value of clamscan) to determine success?

I also notice in ProcessClamAVOutput() the incorrect comment that
clamscan stops as soon as one virus is detected.  I want to use clamav
instead of clamd because mailscanner has the poor behavior of simply
accepting (and declaring "clean") all email when clamd is not available,
as I noted in a previous message.

Is anyone actually successfully using the clamav virus scanner?

thanks
-frank