MailScanner hates Microsoft office

Johan Hendriks Johan at double-l.nl
Fri Nov 20 13:03:39 GMT 2009

>> >For some reason a lot of our office files are being held hostage by
>> MailScanner by the filetype filter for various reasons which to me
>> dont make any sense.
>>
>> >These range from the file being identified as an executable to AVI
movies.

>> >When I do 'file -i' on it, it'll always show 'application/msword;
>> charset=binary'
>>

>> >So far i've tried setting 'unpack microsoft documents' to no and
>> removed 'ole' from the 'Archives Are' setting, but that did not
change
>> anything.
>>
>> >Am I overlooking anything ?
>>

>> >-
>>
>> >Arjan
>>
>> I have the same issue now, in my case i needed to add -i to the file
>> command in the mailscanner.conf file.
>> his solved it for me.
>>
>What's wrong with reading the docs at the top of filename.rules.conf,
>and discovering that all the "-i" stuff is already implemented for you.

>I do *not* support adding "-i" to the file command in MailScanner.conf.

>Jules

Nothing is wrong reading the docs at the top of filetype.rules.conf
But after trying several things this worked for me.
I did read it, but still some Microsoft 2003 docs where seen as AVI
after setting -i after the command in my mailscanner.conf i do not have
that trouble again.

I noticed it on my FreeBSD 8.0RC3 machine only.
I have 2 more system running MailScanner on FreeBSD 7.x, on those boxes
i do not have that problem, the file command is from an earlier version.

If i do file on my FreeBSD 7.x system i get the folowing

file Office\ 2003\ -\ document\ from\ ERP\ system.doc
Office 2003 - document from ERP system.doc: Microsoft Office Document

Doing the same on my 8.0RC3 system i get the following.
file Office\ 2003\ -\ document\ from\ ERP\ system.doc
Office 2003 - document from ERP system.doc: CDF V2 Document, Little
Endian, Os: Windows, Version 5.1, Code page: 1252, Title: ORDER
CONFIRMATION, Author: it at xxxxxxxxx.nl, Template: Navision Blanco
Document.dot, Last Saved By: User Name, Revision Number: 2, Name of
Creating Application: Microsoft Office Word, Total Editing Time: 01:00,
Last Printed: Thu Nov 16 15:31:00 2006, Create Time/Date: Tue Nov 17
16:01:00 2009, Last Saved Time/Date: Tue Nov 17 16:01:00 2009, Number of
Pages: 2, Number of Words: 289, Number of Characters: 1500, Security: 0

Versions off file are
FreeBSD 7.x   file-4.23
FreeBSD 8.0   file-5.03

Regards,