lint/debug no work, why?

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 08:26:03 GMT 2009

2009/11/17 Jeff A. Earickson <jaearick at colby.edu>:
> Julian,
>
> I was chasing some SpamAssassin issues, so I wanted to run version
> 4.78.17 in debug mode on Solaris 10.  So I shut down the normal MailScanner
> (which runs fine), and did:
>
>  /opt/MailScanner/bin/MailScanner --debug --lint

But those are not "compatible" options Jeff... The --lint simply
doesn't happen... So it would be the same as just saying --debug,
which in turn needs a message on the incoming queue... Did you have
one/generate one? Probably not;-).

Remeber:
- lint == syntax checking
- debug == function checking

(snip)
>  Connected to SpamAssassin cache database
>  (just sits there forever)

Probably as expected;-).

> So I removed /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/SpamAssassin.cache.db
> and tried again, still nothing.  Any suggestions?
>
> My underlying problem is that the MISSING_SUBJECT and NO_RECEIVED rules
> always seemed to fire in SA, and I was tryting to figure out why (googled,
--debug --debug-sa would perhaps have been more relevant?

> others have noted this).  Interestingly, removing the cache.db file
> maybe seems to have fixed this problem.  I wonder if SpamAssassin.cache.db
> should be nuked at the beginning of MailScanner startup, to start fresh?

Might've been some problem with the cache, yes. Did you try the
analyze_SpamAssassin_cache command, just to see if it seems
valid/viable?

> Jeff Earickson
> Colby College

Cheers