Retrieve from Archive

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 09:08:49 GMT 2009

2009/11/13 Ralph Bornefeld-Ettmann <ilikeuce at bornefeld-ettmann.de>:
> Robert Lopez schrieb:
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 7:52 AM, Glenn Steen <glenn.steen at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> AFAIU, this thread is about the Archive... But I might've read it
>>> sloppily;-). Personally, I prefer to use the nonspam quarantine as an
>>> archive, since it take care of the ... "malware-problem" of the
>>> archive.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> --
>>> -- Glenn
>>> email: glenn < dot > steen < at > gmail < dot > com
>>> work: glenn < dot > steen < at > ap1 < dot > se
>>> --
>>>
>>> Before posting, read http://wiki.mailscanner.info/posting

>> With apologies to Ralph for using his thread...

:-) ... Monis Monther started the thread, but I'm sure it's OK for you
to ask...:-)

>> Glenn, what is the  "'malware-problem"'of the archive"?
>>
> Thanks for asking .... I would have asked too ....
> I only can imagine that the archive would archive also malware and possibly
> also spam (as it has to arcive incoming mail) where the nonspam quarantine
> only archives non-spam .... but it is only a shot in the dark ....
Good shooting;-).
That is exactly it. The archive feature of MailScanner takes pains to
happen first, beforwe _any_ scanning has taken place. So it will
contain all messages actually accepted by your MTA... which isn't the
most wholesome brew one could imagine;-).
For an archive, this is good, but ... it _is_ something one has to be
aware of, and act accordingly when releasing stuff from it.

Some have asked for at least a virus scan to be performed, but ...
that would partly defeat the purpose of the archive... and since one
has the option to set "store" for the Non Spam Action, and thus create
a "clean" archive (easily managed from MailWatch, if one don't have a
too large volume of mail), there really is no need to "solve" the
archive-malware problem... Just take care/be aware;)

> Cheers
> Ralph

Cheers to you too (after all... It's friday ... the 13:th:-)
--
-- Glenn