Chinese emails

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at mailscanner.open.source.it
Thu Nov 12 10:26:53 GMT 2009

On Thursday 12 November 2009 09:59, Paul wrote:

> Hi
>
> Ive been down this road before and thought I fixed it, however am
> getting some complaints from users again that chinese email is being
> blocked as the filetype rules are saying its a program.
>
> When I run just "file" on the message it returns its an executable,
> however "file -i" returns its text/plain
>
> [root at geneva nAB8qd2B008626]# file msg-23153-1986.txt
> msg-23153-1986.txt: COM executable for DOS
> [root at geneva nAB8qd2B008626]# file -i msg-23153-1986.txt
> msg-23153-1986.txt: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1

Both of those would seem to be incorrect to me, since you say it isn't an
executable, but it can't possibly be ISO-8859-1 if it's in Chinese...

> I have added
>
> allow   -   text/plain   -   -
>
> To the top of my filetype.rules.conf - however the message is still
> being blocked with "No Programs Allowed"

Have you changed "File Command" in MailScanner.conf to include the -i option?

> Im running version 4.74.16.
>
> Any ideas?

"man file" suggests that one of the things the -i option does is tell file to
use a different source of magic data (/usr/share/file/magic.mime instead
of /usr/share/file/magic on my Debian system) - perhaps you could just rename
these files to achieve what you want without needing the -i option?  The
files look to be compatible in format with each other.

Regards,

Antony.

--
Never write it in Perl if you can do it in Awk.
Never do it in Awk if sed can handle it.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.